Friday, November 16, 2012

Spotlight On: Almond Flour

One of the changes I had to make when I started my low carb diet was the way I cooked. I don't use any wheat products whatsoever, so I use specialty flours such as almond and coconut flour to make my recipies now.I've had a lot of trial and error in the types and brands of almond flour that I use.



The first time I bought almond flour, I went to my nearest health food store and bought Bob's Red Mill. I was excited to try out my new recipes. However, when I tasted my treats, they were awful. Not just awful. Nasty. I did a little more research on the internet and learned that all almond flours are not the same. Some are better than others.

If you have a food processor, you don't even have to buy your flour, you can grind it yourself. Just go to a Sam's or a BJ's and buy bulk blanched almonds and grind them to a flour in your food processor. Remember to buy blanched almonds, it will work best in your recipes.

After months of searching, I have found the holy grail of almond flours. From my experience, I have had consistent results with Honeyville almond flour. Click on the link below and try some for yourself.

Go ahead and try almond flour. You can even enjoy pumpkin pie for the holidays. I have a great recipe in my Staying Low Carb For The Holidays article. So buy some almond flour today and try out the pumpkin pie. Let me know how it turns out!

Thanks Y'all!
QC

No comments:

Post a Comment