Monday, February 18, 2013

Does More Expensive Mean Better? Not When it Comes to Daily Sunscreen


Expensive brands don't always mean better
 
When it came to skin care, I always assumed that the more expensive dermatological or spa brands were the best. Boy, was I wrong!

I love me some Downton Abbey. It's like THE soap opera to be watching right now. Who needs to know who Sami and EJ are on Days when we are left wondering did Matthew really get killed?

Anyways, I digress. Back to skin care.

While surfing the web last year catching up on Downton Abbey gossip, I came across an interview with Michelle Dockery, the actress who plays Lady Mary.

Some people are fascinated by Michelle's eyebrows. In fact, there is a Twitter account dedicated to them. Just check out @ladymaryseyebrows if you don't believe me. For me, the fascination is her complexion. How I long for that soft, milky complexion!

In the article, she was asked about what she does to keep her skin looking so, well, perfect. She told the reporter that she used Dermalogica sunscreen moisturizer everyday.

Now, the only thing I have in common with Michelle Dockery is I have very fair skin. I'm talking pale. I could get a sunburn looking out of the window. Think everybody in Florida has a tan? Not for this white girl.

So I thought, well, heck, sign me up. If it makes her skin look like that, I gotta get me some!

I have had my own anti-aging routine that I've had since I was about 23. However, I never used sunscreen daily because I couldn't stand the smell or the itchiness that came from using it.

I know, I know, bad me.

So off I went to Dermalogica online and plopped out $48 to buy Super Sensitive Shield SPF 30.  I looked longingly into the mirror daily just to see if my skin was getting the nice, milky-white Lady Mary look.

I used Dermalogica everyday without fail. I put it on as soon as I got up in the mornings. Everything was going great for about three months.

Where Dermalogica Failed Me


In sunshine or in shadow, I get burnt either way
One day, I had to spend more time outside than usual. I was in the shade, but I was still outside. All in all, I was probably standing out there for about an hour, hour and a half.

To my horror, when I got home and checked myself out in the mirror, I was sunburned on the entire left side of my face. It seems I was standing next to white lumber, which reflected the sun in my direction, and ruined my pale Lady Mary glow.

I paid $48 for this bottle, and it was worthless! Not only was I burnt, but I had to start from scratch all over again. I was up that night Googling "how long does it take a suntan to go away"


$12.97 for a moisturizer sunscreen beats $48!
So I went in search of an alternative and I found a much cheaper and more effective product: Nutragena's Healthy Defense Liquid Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF50 for $12.97 at Wal-Mart.

I couldn't be happier! Since starting with Nutragena last year, I have had several occasions when I have had to be outside in the sun and am proud to say that I am pale and burn free. Lady Mary would approve!

No comments:

Post a Comment