Sunday, March 10, 2013

What are Things to be Thankful For?


 
Find someone to connect with when life gets tough.
Friends often help put things into perspective.


Let's Face it, Life is Tough

When things seem to be going your way and everything is great, life happens and turns everything into a tailspin.

If you're anything like me, when my life turns upside down I just want to close myself off from everybody and be alone.

Sitting by yourself pondering your problems endlessly does nothing but make you depressed. Trust me, I understand.

I've learned that not matter what we do, life goes on and there's not much you can do to change certain situations.

However, what we can change is our outlook, and one of the best ways to get our minds off what's wrong and focus on what's good is to look for things to be thankful for.


How to Change Your Mind From Negative to Positive

First, I know it's hard, but completely forget the bad for right now. Stepping back from your problems to focus on something positive sometimes gives you the answers you are looking for when you come back to deal with your problems.

I have my own lists of things to be thankful for, and I'll share them with you to get you started. I really want to hear about your thankful list, so be sure to share yours with me as well.

What I'm thankful for:
  • Friends and family.  When things get tough, you need people close to you. I know there are situations sometimes where you're either not near your family or you have no immediate family. That is why I include friends in this category. Oftentimes our friends are closer to us and understand us better than family.
  •  
  • Health. Be thankful that you are healthy. If you are ill, be thankful that you woke up another day. If you're able, take a walk outside or go to a public place. It will do you good to get out. Take a seat somewhere and people watch. I can bet you will see at least one person that is in a worse condition than you. Yes, you might have this problem, but you're not as bad off as the person you just saw. Say a prayer for them and be thankful for the level of health you do have.
  •  
  • The beauty around you. When you're depressed and holed up in your room, you can't see what is good in the world. All you can focus on is yourself and your problems. Find the nearest park, beach, lake, river, and just sit a take in what you see. Be thankful that you have sight to see such beauty.

Be thankful for the bad. Sometimes bad things happen for a reason we don't quite understand, but it paves the way for something good. I've had several experiences in my life when I didn't think I would ever see the light of day. But without them, I wouldn't be where I am today.

How to Say Thank You to People For Being There For You

It's not only enough to be thankful for what you have. It's important to let others in your life know how much you appreciate them.

So how can I say thank you? Start by just telling them in person. Nothing will touch a person more than just by uttering those two heartfelt words.

If you're shy or not sure of what to say, sending a thank you note is also a great idea. Not sure what to write in a thank you note? See my article on How to Write a Thank You Note.

Do something kind for them. It can be as simple as washing their car or keeping your neighbor's kids for an evening. Even baking them cookies or giving them a candy bar and just saying thank you is enough.

When it comes to saying thank you, there's really no wrong way to do it. Just do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment